Total Pageviews

Monday, July 1, 2019

Duluth - Grandma's 2019

I met Jeff Galloway at the expo!  What a treat!

Last year, our little family traveled up to Duluth, Minnesota so I could run in the 2018 Grandma's Marathon.  We had a fantastic time and truly enjoyed the Duluth community and great race event.  I was lucky enough to secure a spot for the 2019 Half Marathon this year, and was excited to return to Duluth.  Unfortunately, we didn't secure a hotel, and it ended up just being me for the trip.  I enjoyed the drive by myself and took the time to listen to a few audio books, rock out to my favorite music, and just sit in silence for a while...which is a treat with three kids!    

While the run wasn't my best, I am always thankful for the ability to move and use my body to extremes and finish a better person.  That is really the gift of running.  Regardless of where I am in my journey, I always feel welcome within the running community.  It is a powerful experience to stand at the start of a race and take-in all of the excitement, jitters, nerves, tears, pride, etc.  The unknown of the race ahead is never the same as the last time...but everyone knows what they had to do to get to the start.  While a lot of things become common after a while, taking-in the start is always something I appreciate being part of a group that consists of positive energy and passion.

The rest of my trip is really a blur.  The bed and breakfast was wonderful, and I savored some time to just sit by Lake Superior and allow my mind to wander.  By the time I returned home, I was eager to be with my family again and resume the life for which I am eternally thankful for.  

Made it back to Grandma's Saloon for another run!

Boat and bridge.

Windy day by Lake Superior.

Anchor.  It's heavy.

Despite the wind, it was fantastic to just walk along the lake and think about life.

Lock logs and lighthouse.

Lock you wish or dreams up.

Of course I had to order the Marathon Spaghetti at Grandma's Saloon the day before the race!

Original newspaper article.

Bought a couple jars of the Grandma's Marathon Marinara and will save them for a special spaghetti night at home!  

Enjoyed the Marathon Spaghetti by the lake the night before to carb up!

I got to stay in the Peach Room at this fantastic bed and breakfast in Port Wing!  The hosts were so nice and I enjoyed the quiet and peace of the surrounding forest.

A lovely evening in Port Wing.

Port Wing beach.

Driftwood structure in Port Wing.  

Lovely backyard at my BnB!




There is a special place in heaven for those volunteers who make sure all race packets include four safety pins for the running bib!  

A beautiful morning at the start of the Half Marathon in Two Harbors.

Watching the sun rise before the race starts.

Taking-in the energy at the start!

A happy finisher.

Got my Marathon Training Academy hat, finisher's medal, and chocolate milk (my favorite post-race treat)!

A close-up of my race bling.  They do a good job at Grandma's!

Snagged some beer on the way back for my good friend.  

No comments: