Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Baking

Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sometimes it is nice to make something for others.  Sometimes it is necessary to forget about the rest of the world and focus on balancing sugar and butter and eggs and chocolate for a while.  There is something magical each time a pan of chocolate chip cookies is pulled from the oven.  

Classic Chocolate Chip

My mom taught me how to bake at a young age.  Being able to make cookies and pizza dough has served me well over the years.  Learning how to hold the bowl and use a spatula and the measuring spoons and what each ingredient added to the overall production.  Baking is a science of sorts...and also a production with cast members being the ingredients.  When a performer (baking soda) doesn't fulfill their roll...the whole production falls flat (pun intended).  Never-the-less...the show must go on.  


Killer Cupcakes (chocolate and cheesecake chip)

 Now I rely on my trusty standbys....including cookies, bagels, and some bread.  I hope that my own children learn with me in the kitchen and find value in baking their own goods and understanding the superiority of a fresh baked item over its store-bought counterpart.  I hope they see the delight in the eyes of others when it is discovered someone made cookies!  Every winter I find myself retreating into the kitchen to bake...something about cold weather and a hot oven.  I hope to make more loaves of bread this year...give them to others.  There is beauty in the simplicity of the ingredients and method for me.  Flour, sugar, eggs...basic and fantastic at the same time.  


-a

No comments: