Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Field Trip to Springfield

Today started at 4:30am as the alarm woke me from my dark sleep into darkness. I drove to school as the sun rose and we were on the bus rolling out of Villa Park by 7am. Today was the annual 5th Grade Field Trip to Springfield to visit the Abraham Lincoln Museum.

While I can appreciate the potential for learning on this journey, the three six hours on a bus with 35 5th graders is a challenge. While I had the opportunity to go to Springfield last year also, it was still exciting to be headed south on I-55 again this year.

The museum itself is fascinating. So many original items all in one place. I know that is the basic definition of many museums, but there is something about this place that humbles me. I found myself in awe of the thought that a single life can impact so many others. Also, I continue to find the pictures and paintings of Lincoln with mussed hair and no beard quirky, as if he knows a sly joke but won't share it.

After the museum, we loaded on the bus and visited his tomb. This is always a very sobering experience. The quiet of the tomb combined with the historic significance of every single architectural detail overwhelmed me at times. While I know that history is important, it is often not taught properly and comes across as dry and irrelevant. Experiences like today renew my interest in the past and refresh my appreciation for the sacrifices of those that have come before me. I highly suggest that everyone take a couple hours and visit a museum. It is enlightening and exciting.

-a

No comments: