Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

An Almost New Year

The next generation.  From Left:  Oren, Celia, (Corey and Sara's kids), Audrey, Penelope, and Violet

The gifts are unwrapped, and piles of paper and ribbon abound.  The girls are giggling at their virtual piles of treasure and toys.  The next few days will be spent exploring and playing with everything in sight, laughing, and possibly some snowy-day movies!

It is overwhelming every year, the generosity of our family and friends.  I am always overtaken by a sense of gratitude for all of the kindness and love given to our family.  These feelings last throughout the year, as December is never the only month where gifts and support are given to us.

As 2013 approaches, I look back on 2012.  I search for meaning and look for inspiration and motivation to succeed in the future.  While the idea of a new year is fresh and allows for an image of a clean slate or a new, blank page, it would be impossible to move forward without looking back to avoid repeating mistakes and to further drive our successes.  I don't believe in making resolutions for the next year, because it makes much more sense to simply start being a better person or adapt more positive habits immediately rather than wait for the turning of the calendar.

Audrey and her little ponies.

'Twas the night before Christmas...

Christmas morning.

From Lest:  Violet, Audrey, and Penelope (Mark and Beth's daughter)

Audrey and Penelope

Audrey, Penelope, and Violet


Violet

Holiday smiles


Violet and Daddy



I look forward to helping my daughters grow and learn and explore this world around them. I am excited to continue running and making myself a healthier person.  I want to travel back to Alaska this year, as well as Arizona to visit family and friends.  I hope to at least explore possible job opportunities as a school administrator, and definitely learn more to become a better classroom teacher.  Reading more books and listening to new music is high on my list, as well as volunteering some time to my community of those in need.  So as the old year blends into the new one, don't forget to look back and take with you those reminders and experiences that will best serve you moving forward.

No comments: