Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Half

A couple weeks ago, I was lucky enough to run the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon.  This is my second year in a row running this race, and it did not disappoint.  This was the only official race on my calendar this year besides my failed attempt at the Wisconsin Marathon earlier in the spring.  This year has been one of change and transition for my family and me, and, unfortunately, races and running have been pushed back on the list of priorities.

The drive to Indianapolis was a quiet one.  So much has been happening with work and life that a few hours on a highway with my thoughts was a welcome thing.  After a brief stop at a grocery store for some race day food, I found my way to my friend's house, where I would be staying for the night.  My friend, Amy, is one of my best friends in life.  We were college roommates and our paths have crisscrossed ever since we both left Muncie.

After a nice night's sleep, we had a quick breakfast and picked-up another friend, and then we were off to downtown Indianapolis.  We found our way (eventually) to the start line as the run began.  We hopped in, waved goodbye, and then I was off.  The familiar sounds of shoes hitting the ground, race watches being set, energetic music, cowbells...they all mixed together to bring about a familiar and satisfying ambiance as the miles began to tick on.  The day was perfect for running:  blue skies, a slight chill accompanied with a light breeze, and a crisp fall day.  It all ensured that I never became over heated or too sweaty.  As the first hour passed, the temperature began to rise slightly, but I was already on the last part of the run, headed back towards the city center.

Playing some rocking music on my phone and listening to the electronic running coach giving my splits times was inspirational.  The music generated by the random play list really hit home, as I was reminded of my friends and different times in my life with each song.  I crossed the finish line with thoughts of my friends and a deep sense of gratitude in my heart.  The medal, usually my favorite part of finishing, was really a reminder that life is important yet brief.

I savored the rest of my time in Indianapolis with my good friend, Amy, and her lovely family.  The drive home was quiet, and contemplative.  I have already set-up a few more half marathons for the spring to maintain my motivation and training over the winter.  While this wasn't my fastest time, it wasn't my slowest, either.  I look forward to logging a lot of miles as the snow finds its way into our region.  While Indianapolis got smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror, I realized that running this half was something that made me feel whole.

-a

No comments: