Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 9, 2017

November Warmth



The last bit of time has been a blur, but now I am comfy on my couch on this chilly November morning with a few minutes to spare before the household begins to wake up.  Yesterday was the first flurry of snow, reminding me to get the Christmas lights up and rake the lawn before any more of the white stuff has a chance to fall this weekend! 

This week, two of my childhood friends made the trip down from Alaska to spend a couple days here in the Midwest and ultimately attend the Guns n Roses concert last Monday.  Louis and BJ showed up on my doorstep last Saturday morning, and after a brief nap, we headed into the city.  Kim took the kids to Indiana for the November birthdays, so I was thankful that I had this window of time to focus on my buddies.  We three amigos headed into the city to initially spend a few hours taking the "quick and dirty" tour of the Field Museum.  It was a lot of fun to share my favorite points in the museum, including Bushman the gorilla, the Hall of Gems, and Sue the tyrannosaurus rex! 

After our brief period of culture, we headed over to the Emporium Arcade, where we spent the next chunk of time playing video games from our childhood.  It was a lot of fun to just sit back, pop-in a token, and go back to a simpler time of 8- or 16-bit screen glory.  The three of us even conquered The Simpsons game with less than $5! 

We enjoyed football and resting-up before Kim and the kids returned Sunday afternoon.  Then it was all-out chaos as the girls played light sabers and dance party with Uncle Louis and Uncle BJ.  It was so nice just watching my family smile and laugh.  I tell my children that if you love someone, then they are your family...and Louis and BJ are definitely family.

Monday moved quickly, as I had to work, but left at the bell to get home, pick-up the boys, and we headed back into the city for the concert.  After checking them into their hotel, we parked at the United Center and hoofed it to the Billygoat's Tavern for some cheeseburgers and drinks.  We finally walked into the United Center and savored the moments before the band took the stage.

It is surreal seeing people in person, especially when on has grown-up listening to their songs and their music is woven into your early memories.  Yet there they were, Axl and Slash, and Duff....Guns n Roses, rocking out their greatest hits (and a few we didn't recognize).  For 3 1/2 hours they blasted songs and we sang our hearts out.  We left chanting Paradise City, our arms around each other's shoulders.  It stung to give my friends a hug in the parking lot to say goodbye.  The drive back to my home at 1am was quiet, and I flipped through the new memories with my best friends with a smile on my face.

Now it is the next Saturday, and Sam sits in his high chair next to me, chomping Cheerios and practicing his grunts and chirps and random screams.  The girls are drawing by the fireplace and Kim is sipping coffee on the couch.  The daily items are on the agenda:  rake leaves, put-up Christmas lights, try to get a run in, and, as always, laundry.

These tasks will be done with pleasure, though, as I will enjoy the day that is given.  This time with my friends has reminded me to be thankful for the moments we can spend together and for the ability to make decisions and just enjoy life.  And while we all have our responsibilities, this last week has reminded me that I truly do live in Paradise City.

-a 

Violet getting a new shirt for her birthday from Grandpa Ted!
SLASH rocking out one of his solos at the concert!
We made it!  Concert time just minutes away!
Here we go!
Bros and babies!  What a fun night with Uncle Louis and Uncle BJ!
Audrey telling a joke at dinner!
Louis is now on the Dark Side!
Uncle Darth BJ?
Louis, Chicago Deep Dish at 11pm?  Yes sir!
Mmmmmm, pizza.  
We beat The Simpsons!  
Lions at the Field Museum
Sue and the Boys!
Bushman at the Field Museum
Violet the Wookie!
Sam and his contemplative look!
Violet and her Halloween candy haul!
Sam the Halloween Narwhal!
Audrey (Dorthy), Violet (X-Wing pilot).
Sam and the flowers
Sam bottle time

No comments: