Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Back to It

I awoke this morning with a sense of anxiety and things-to-do in order to be ready to return to work tomorrow.  While Sunday for most is a day of relaxation, it is a day of planning and thoughtfulness for me.

I have really enjoyed my Spring Break this year.  It is strange not being a teacher and still getting to take this amount of time for breaks during the year.  I am not complaining, just observing.  This vacation started very poorly, as I had a stomach flu for two days and spent the next few recovering after that and getting re-hydrated and building my energy back up.  Each day with my children has been wonderful, despite the occasional bickering and arguing.  I still step back and just look at them in-the-moment and marvel at how much they have grown and learned.  They are truly becoming their own little selves and developing their own massive personalities.

My mother visiting has been the highlight of the break for me.  It has been wonderful just having her positive personality in the house.  It has also been special for me to have the opportunity to take care of her and be a host in our new house.  I am so proud of the life we have created here, and getting to show my mom has been an important thing for me.  It is difficult, sometimes, to live so far away from my parents and family.  So when I have an opportunity to spend time with them, it is something I try very hard value and savor.

However, in a couple hours my mother leaves back to Alaska.  The rest of the day will be spent getting the house in order and working to prepare for the return to our "normal" schedules and family life.  I have reading and some presentations to work through, and lunches need to be made.  Alarms must be set, and clothes laid-out for the morning rush.  I love my work, and I am truly excited to return and finish the school year strong.  I also cannot wait to return next year and begin building off of the things we have started this year.

Any time left in the day will be spent in quiet gratitude and possibly a dog walk or bike ride...depending on the weather today.  So now the sun is rising and it is time to embrace this final day of Spring Break.  There are things to do and life to experience.

-a

No comments: