Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Cold Morning--Hot Coffee

 Coffee and tea have been my morning go-to on the weekends....and coffee is really my only go-to on the daily morning commute.  There is something so comforting about a hot cup of liquid in my hand....joining me as I wake-up.  The early morning is really my time of peace, quiet....solitude.  There has been something to the time spend just being and holding still, and breathing.  Just having time to think and let my mind wander without the traditional constraints of time and responsibilities looming.  

It is interesting to see where one's mind travels when it does not have a clear path to follow.  There are the usual things like money and family and job stuff...then the secondary levels of household chores, to-do-items, and the things I know I really should get around to doing items.  Then, however, it gets fun....because once I can get past all of that, I find myself in a place considering the bigger goals....dreaming...thinking about the "what its"....

"What if I go back to school to earn a doctorate?"  

"What if we just moved back to Juneau?"

"What if I drove across the country in a conversion van?"

"What if I focused only on physical fitness for a year?"

"What if I brought the kids to wherever they wanted to go in the world?"

"What will it be like when the kids are away from the house?"

"What if I get another cup of coffee?"

The last one usually brings me back to the moment...as it has at the moment of typing this.  Paul Simon is singing quietly on my phone...telling me we all shall be received in Graceland.  There is something reassuring about that line....

So here I sit...doing my best to hold still and yet let my mind wander.  The snow has started to fall again, and I think it is the perfect time for another cup of coffee before sitting back down to let my mind wander just a little while longer...and dream....before the house wakes up.

-a

No comments: